June 24, 2011

Unscheduled Fun

I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of mom's out there in the same predicament as me.  What to do today?  That's the burning question of summer (along with what to make for dinner, which has no season.)


I know in the "old days" our mothers didn't schedule endless crafts, play dates and learning experiences but I'm tired of that argument.  Those days are gone sister.  Gone, like Elvis and Bugs bunny cartoons.  How we got here?  Who knows but here we are.


Most days I give in and head to the pool, the beach, the movies, the playground, the museum (well, not the museum so much but it makes me sound better), the gym, the whatever will keep them moving and happy place that my friends and I agree upon the night before.  



Then somedays you realize everyone is exhausted, the floors need vacuuming, the toilets cleaning and the laundry done (for you new mom's out there; these things do not happen by themselves  while you are on play location making your children into better citizens and all that).


So then you announce proudly "we are having a quiet, inside play day today.  I don't care what you do (BIG lie), just do it happily and let me get some stuff done."  And then they go right for the paint and glitter.  (Now you are remembering why you schedule above mentioned character building activities.)


So as you can see, we painted, colored (with glitter), practiced our Japanese, sketched...


Got really fancy with salt painting which involves...wait for it...another mother favorite...food coloring!!!





And finished off our relaxing home day with some sushi making.










Is it just me or do all of us turn a "down day" into tactile learning, lessons in watercolor shading, and culinary expeditions?  What the heck is wrong with me?  There must be an intervention in my future.  Yes people, this is a cry for help.  


Oh well, until my "vacation" at Tranquil Springs gets scheduled for me...we will keep on laughin!


Just in case your wondering, today we are heading into Waikiki for a pool day at the Hilton ;)



post signature

No comments: