February 8, 2013

Happy Birthday Olivia


I know what you're thinking...what kind of cake did she get?
 Well, if you take all the elaborateness and hardtopleaseness of her sister and toss it in the trash...you get Olivia.  

She is easy, appreciative and no-fuss.  Hallelujah!  She does however, love her food.  Since her birthday fell on a school/soccer day there wasn't a lot of time for fanfare but I did wake up at 5:30 am to make fresh cinnamon muffins. The smell got her out of bed at an unusually fast pace :)





Back to the cake.  Or no cake.  Hang with me.  

We discovered during a dinner conversation one night that the girls have never had a creme brûlée.  Ummmm, I just drooled a little at the mere mention.  Although I have eaten plenty of them, I have never made any.  A plan was born.  

If I could do the dolphin cake, surely this would be easy breezy!

It was.  Only 4 ingredients are keeping you from this delightful treat (and about 100 Dr.'s warnings)...




4 Cups of cream





1 Tbsp of seriously good vanilla (yes, this is worth it) and that price is in U.S dollars.





10 egg yolks (I'll wait while you answer the phone...it's your Dr. calling)




Whipped up with sugar





Combine and pour into those cute little ramekins which you should just go ahead and buy.  I have wanted them for years but somehow never indulged.  They are like $8 for 4...go ahead.  I give you permission.  





Bake 





Then comes the magic.  Of course I wanted to buy the little blow torch to do the sugar topping but wouldn't you know I couldn't find one.  (Dad, you will be happy to know I attempted to use the soldering iron we bought last time you were here but it was out of gas.  Probably for the best - "right tool for the job" speech inserted here.)

Back to the sugar.  This step can be done in the oven with the broiler.  Not nearly as much fun I'm guessing and very hard to get an even crust without burning.  Buy the torch, and when you do, get one for me too!  Thanks.  





Yes, she got Dr. Pepper for her birthday.  I told you she was easy to please! 




Happy 14th.  I don't know where the time has gone but I sure like what she's done with it.  Bring on high school, she is ready!

Oh, the creme brûlée - it was a magnificent, delicious, creamy, dreamy, way better than cake any day of the week treat.  None of us could finish the whole thing!




post signature

No comments: