April 13, 2009

Technology Curse!

Ok, so I am not a big subscriber to karma and all that but our technology mojo is in serious need of help in this house. While the cousins were visiting a virus was downloaded on our desktop computer and it completely destroyed our system. After 2 days of trying to scrub the virus clean David finally had to submit and totally wipe our hard drive clean and rebuild the computer from ground zero. (With 7 children running about.) It took him 4 days of almost non-stop work and I am really impressed that he could even do it.

In the middle of all that the laptop got a virus (he was able to scrub that clean without a total overhaul) and now my very favorite possession...yes, my GPS, is on the fritz. After googling the particular version of Garmin I own it seems that the total loss of satellite reception is happening to people with no real fix! WHAT? This is going too far! Those of you who know me know that this is a disaster!

Before I totally panic and run to the nearest Best Buy to relieve myself of a few hundred bucks, I have taken a deep breath and emailed a nasty gram to Garmin. We'll see if they are devastated about my loss and are going to rush out personally to hand deliver me a new product. While I'm holding my breath for that, please send me well wishes, prayers, good luck charms, positive thoughts and if you must, money :)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh GF....I'm sick to my stomach for you! Well, mostly for me since I thought you'd be updating to the iMac before me! ha! I'm glad David is such a genius....did you have everything backed up?

Then there's Jill....I couldn't live without her either.

Jen said...

luckily we were able to use the computer while it had the virus (it was an invisible trojan file that kept re-creating itself but the virus protection kept catching it) so he was able to back up and move all the data he needed to before he wiped it out. VERY tedious process.

As for Jill, I am wearing all black!