February 28, 2010

Much ado about nothing

So the thing about tsunami's is, you don't know until they smack down on you what they are going to be. For that reason the island was a bit of a mess here yesterday. Many evacuations, David had to organize getting the ships underway, road closures, spam hoarding, etc. It was a long day but it ended well with no major disasters for Hawaii.

Of course, that can't be enough for the Hughes. Nope. We like to throw in that mix a large gathering at our house, a caterer 100 ft. from the beach and the on again, off again, confusion of the whole thing.

When I woke up I was convinced there would be no party but thought I would do some yard prep just in case. David called home at one point and said he thought all the fuss would be over by 3:00 and the party would be on. Good thing I had left all that heavy lifting stuff for him to do. Off to work I went, starting with calling the caterer who said "lady, if I am still here at 1:00 I will get your food to you." Can't ask for more than that!


With the help of some great neighbors I managed to get the place ready, the food showed up, the ships went out and came back and my husband showed up to greet the first guests in his uniform at about 2:58 (darn punctual Navy people). I ran upstairs to change as the crowd trickled in (and my neighbors were still setting up) and poof. It was a party.


I don't think we quite hit the 70 mark but it ended up being a nice event, a fun way to unwind after a very hectic Saturday and I am happy to report the week is over. One of my worst on record (did I mention that I caught the "bug" on Wednesday and spent two days teetering on the edge of death?) No-one was happier that the party was on other than Emily. She is the hostess with the mostess and had a great time!




post signature


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Glad the big wave didn't get ya! Hope next week is less hectic than this one.