June 24, 2010

My Green Thumb

Well, I have tried and tried to load a little slide show of some nice flowers blooming here (especially my orchids) but to no avail.  In case you don't know this about me...I have a black thumb.  Can't hardly grow my own hair.  Seriously.  Back in December when my Mom was visiting she convinced me to try some orchids in flower boxes.  We spent about $100 on two boxes and I was sure they would go from gorgeous blossoms to dead sticks in a matter of days but they are thriving!  I would love to take credit and say that I have turned some horticultural corner but I will give the props to the Hawaiian climate.  They did lose all their blossoms but have since grown so much that they about attack you on the way up the stairs!  This photo is the second plant that has graced us with new flowers...they are stunning.  I can't wait to show them off to Aunt Betty! 

Here are some shots in still form, I am done arguing with the slide show, I need to get back to arguing with my kids!












Next week starts a little exercise we call RIMPAC.  It involves a bunch of foreign ships, war games and training.  I don't know much about that part of it but I do know we have a reception aboard a different ship each night for 7 nights in a row.  I am looking forward to it but imagine by night 4 I might be dragging a bit!  Stay tuned for the fashion show...post signature

No comments: