November 23, 2009

One good spa day deserves another right? I thought so, so I treated Emily to a real pedicure last week. She got purple toes with a pink butterfly on the big toe with a diamond gem in the middle. Emily is NOT easy to please but I think this may have hit the mark!

Olivia's class has had the awesome opportunity to go to "Starbase Atlantis" this past week. It's a 5 day program offered by NASA that I believe they offer to most of the 5th graders in the area. They learn about principals of flight, conduct all kinds of scientific experiments, work on computer flight simulators and each build their own rocket to launch on graduation day.

I was asked to accompany them last Thursday and all I can say is WOW! What a neat experience. The instructors were full of zest and it was so fun to see them teaching in such a hands-on way. The day I was there we learned about lift, drag, thrust, G-forces, created a mini space module on a CAD imaging system and continued working on the rockets.

The class completed 3 of their 5 days and will finish up in December. I wish all of our schools had the budget to teach every subject this way - learning is so fun when you do it right! Olivia is just loving it and came home each night so excited to tell us everything!

The rest of our week/weekend was filled with the usual shenanigans! Emily was off on Friday due to conferences (straight A pre-schooler might I add. Ahem, this is serious stuff you know) but ended up with such a fever by the end of the day that I took her to the ER on Saturday. Strep and an ear infection. Double bonus! She is already much better but Olivia woke up today complaining of a sore throat. I am figuring I will wake up on Thanksgiving Day with the whole mess!


Happy Thanksgiving from my two turkeys!

post signature


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Love the pedi pic of Em, hope she is feeling better. What a great experience for Olivia.....does she have a future at Nasa?