August 13, 2011

ANOTHER Cruise!!

Navy style!!!

Olivia and I got to spend the day at sea yesterday for the LAKE ERIE dependents cruise!



We got underway about 8:30 am 


Amazing to see the water go from blue to brown - she churns up a LOT of water!


We backed out and made the turn to head out of the channel right by the Missouri and the Arizona memorial.


The size of this ship never ceases to amaze me - she is a beauty! 





Turning around Hospital Point.


Even the tugs put on a show for us...doughnuts :)


Just outside the bridge, ready to go!














Once out in open ocean they opened it up to 30 knots and we were MOVING!!  I can't even describe the sounds and color of the ocean.  Stunning, and very windy!


Just to be cute they did some high speed "S" turns and nearly killed us all!  You can see the pattern in the wake and how far off vertical we are!


This is "back aft" at top speed















I think someone is contemplating her future life in the Navy!!





This is just after they "put on the brakes."  Believe it or not we stopped in about 2 boat lengths - it felt like a plane landing!


This was the last spoken command of Captain James Lawrence and soon became a battle cry for the American Fleet - most famously as the motto emblazoning Oliver Hazard Perry's battle flag at the battle of Lake Erie. 


My little nerd in the engineering spaces


My big nerd ;)


Heading back home


A fantastic day.  As always I am proud and impressed by the skill and might of our military.  I have a few videos to post also but for now I have an anniversary to celebrate - 17 years.  Better than ever.  




post signature

No comments: