July 5, 2012

RIMPAC Fun


RIMPAC is in full swing this week, we are loaded up with ships from everywhere and they are lined up 2 deep at every pier!  It's a sight to see but very hard to photograph.  To get a good perspective you would need to be in a helicopter and there is only so far I'll go for a good shot!


 Best I could do was to climb up on the bow of Lake Erie last night to try and capture a few shots since they were all dressed up for the 4th of July. Shooting directly into the sun wasn't the best plan but it's hard to move a warship around the harbor for a photo op.




The other night David and I were at a reception onboard a ship from Singapore, watching the other ships prepare their "up and overs" (flags) for the 4th.  I asked if they spelled out anything.  No, he said, they are specifically designed not to have a message. Next question was who decides the order (because naturally I can see people getting cute with this...Brenda will you marry me, Brian is a fool...) to which he replied - "there is a specific prescribed pattern of randomness."  

Naturally. Navy men make me laugh.





These are both Japanese ships participating in the exercise.  One of the Captains brought his wife and two daughters on the trip and when we mentioned that Olivia had been studying Japanese for a few years he invited her to the reception!  
  


She was nervous at first about having to put her skills to the test but after a short time, these two 13 yr olds were having a blast.  Turns out they like a lot of the same music and other technology stuff that I don't get!




It was a great experience for her and my hope is that these three will stay connected!




As for the receptions, so far David has been to 6 and I have been to 4.  It's not a great picture taking opportunity...rushing to get dressed, kids fed, uniforms changed and out the door.  No photos of us all dressed up but I can show you the shoe portion of my wardrobe changes :)



 Basic black, slight wedge, classic and comfortable.




BAM!  This was my one moment of crazy, but how cute are these?  Just so happens they matched my dress so perfectly I took the bullet and wore these babies...on a ship. Usually I am the one making fun of those fools.  Yes, I walked to the car barefoot.  


Back to practical wedges


Notice they are getting lower and lower each night!  


I took the night off to spend the 4th with the kids.  David met us at dark and we ended up finding our neighborhood pals just in time for a great fireworks show.


All we need is an apple pie in this shot ;)


5 more receptions to go...I'm running out of shoes!


post signature

No comments: