July 23, 2010

Up Close and Personal


As promised, here is a shot from the deck during a trap landing.  I think they said you go from 120 to zero in about 2 seconds!  If I'm not mistaken the pilot is actually accelerating at this point in case they miss the trap - that way they have the power to ascend and circle around for another shot!


This is a cat shot.  I want to know who the first guy was who thought "yeah, I know...lets hook a plane and just throw it off the deck...that'll work!"  Insane idea, insane experience!  Remember what I said below about the jet exhaust knocking you off the deck?  Well,luckily we didn't get that close but a plane turned around very near us at one point and the exhaust blew us about 4 ft. backwards. Luckily my friend was behind me and "had my back!"  It was like being hit with a fire hose!


This video is from inside the "flight ops" area.  This poor guy was trying to land about 20 aircraft and answer all of our questions at the same time!  One of mine was how much jet fuel does the ship hold.  Honestly I don't even remember the answer.  It was something ridiculous like 3 million gallons - hard to comprehend. 


post signature

No comments: