May 8, 2011

Single Mom

The girls and I continued to have a great day.  We ended up going ice-skating because what else would you do on Mother's Day in Hawaii right?  Fact is, when Dad is gone you do whatever to keep the time moving.  At dinner tonight Olivia surprised me with a few gifts.  One was this poem titled Single Mom.  I am having a proud moment so please indulge:

No one to help you
As two pairs
Of needing, helpless eyes
And greedy, playful hands
Wait for you.
Your only refuge
Miles away, fighting the current
But you are brave, strong.
Your love and determination can do this
Again.
Your soft voice
Warm hands
Tell your burden
"It's alright, try again
The worst is over, all you have to do
Is wait"
Patience is key
As you calm, cook and care
All alone.
You have done this for as long as I can remember
The rock of my life.


Funny, we all try our hardest to pretend one of us isn't missing, but it comes out in it's own way.  How lovely that hers comes out in poetry.  I do love my expressive, loving, little girl.  


post signature

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Truly lovely.