March 3, 2011

Teambuilding

Chances are if you talk to me on the phone at some point in the conversation I'll say "just super busy with the workshop."  I don't usually post too much about them - usually because fluorescent lighting makes for horrible photos but poor as they may be, I thought I would share with you why I'm always so "busy" (you know, besides the Mom thing which also takes a few minutes each day.)


We ended up with about 75 spouses from all Navy communities and started with a great dinner buffet.


Next, our CORE TV reporters has some breaking news for us..."not all apples are the same!"  Since this workshop was a joint venture with officer and enlisted spouses - we had a most difficult time trying to address the disparity between the two groups.  


Each person chose an apple when they came in and we talked about not all trying to be equal but to see the value in whichever way we contribute to a team.  Some apples are good for baking, some for eating, etc.  You get the idea.  It was a fun way to break the ice - these two groups get a little nervous when placed in such close proximity!!


Food was great


Everyone was happy


Then we had some fun.  A local private school spoke to us about team building and had us up and moving!  They gave us some silly exercises to show us how difficult it can be to work as a team if we don't communicate well and work together.



Trust me, raising and lowering a swim noodle without anyone letting go is harder than you think!


As is building a tall tower out of spaghetti, tape and string with a marshmallow on top!


And as always there is the group that thinks outside the box and chooses to toast the marshmallow over the candle.  The heck with the tower!


I think I have also failed to mention in the last few weeks that I am now a monkey.  The XO spouses here are a fantastically fun bunch and have welcomed me into the fold!  There are many silly criteria for the monkeys - not the least of which is always taking a group photo at any event. 


I remarked after my initial event photo that I was by far the shortest monkey in the group so being the kind and loving monkeys that they are...they are making me look tall here!  Fantastic :)

I must admit this was a particularly difficult workshop to plan but in the end the work produced a terrific product that we were all proud of.  I wish I could say you can safely call me now but in one week I am hosting the next committee to begin plans for the April workshop...good thing I make the big bucks and get the corner office!   

post signature

No comments: