September 24, 2008

Olivia

My Dad gently reminded me today that I haven't mentioned much about Olivia's new school and how it's going. I guess that it's only fair to bring you down gently from me whining on an hourly basis for an entire year to this - cold turkey is harsh.

We are extremely pleased so far with school and Olivia seems very comfortable. Homework is on a much more manageable scale (like 2-3 times a week) and it is always something she can do on her own instead of me having to do it with (or often for) her. She is very proud that she is a straight "A" student so far this year and her self confidence has definitely gone back up.

I think even though the curriculum is a bit on the slow side, it is giving her the chance to really learn vs. learn only long enough to spit back out on the test and forget again in a day. It also gives her the chance to be more than a student...she is unfortunately but inevitably learning about 9 yr. old girl drama and God knows that takes up time and energy!!

Bottom line, we are at a very normal pace and level this year - about what I would expect from 4th grade. Some days are better than others but all are manageable. Normal, what a nice place to be for a change :)

Of course I always have an Emily story to throw in. Her teacher asked me today if she could wear shorts under her dresses (Lord help me...she will NEVER agree to that) because she is aparantly fond of climbing the rock wall and as the teacher put it "there she is with all her business showing". Is anyone really looking? Don't worry...I didn't say that, just thought it. But really, little girls DO wear dresses and you just HAD to have a climbing wall and a two story slide right? I'm just sayin - that's all.

No comments: